Monday, August 30, 2010

MY HEART STOPS

My boys continually amaze me as they grow and change, which I love. However, it is the constantness of change that is sometimes exhausting. On the one hand, it’s great because it keeps me on my toes, but on the other hand just when I think I have one of them figured out, he stuns me by doing something completely unexpected. Just the other day my four year old, for the first time in a long time, actually didn’t stop before a cross walk, he just kept running straight across – I almost fainted. On another day not too long after that, my two year old, who rarely strays more than a few feet from my side, ran straight away from me as fast as could be. This time not across a busy road but straight to a garbage can to put his cracker package away (one point for cleanliness, minus 500 points for the shock to my system). I actually stopped the nearest mother at the water park to tell her what just happened, just to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.

So when do I take them aside to go over the rules (again) and when do I let them run and hope they stay safe on their own? I wish there was a book that told me all the answers, but in the end probably following my instincts will prove best. That, and secretly watch what other mothers are doing – so if I’m watching you, I’m not judging you. Oh no, I’m learning from you – so thanks.

Now with all that said, what the heck is it with them having to stand right ON my feet?!

No comments:

Post a Comment