Sunday, March 15, 2009

LAUNDRY

It just took me 45 minutes to fold and put away one load of laundry. I get it now, I understand.

I never judged but was always curious at those mothers whose grown children didn’t do any chores around the house – how could this happen? I wondered.

It happens when you have two toddlers and all you want to do is just get the laundry done. I actually enjoy doing laundry – there is something satisfying in drawers full of clean clothes and a closet full of nice clean hanging shirts. Normally I finish laundry in the evenings when daddy distracts the offspring or during Mighty Machines.

Today; however, it went like this. Put laundry from mommy’s basket into the toy room basket. Then dump the laundry out, then play on it, then pile toys on it, then use mommy’s underwear as a sling shot (how DO you explain thongs to a 3 year old anyways…), then the digger has to help. Yes, the digger, thank you Aunty and Uncle for the biggest ride-on digger that now is essential to every part of our lives, sigh. So helpful they will one day hopefully be.

Then we have to clean up the toys that have made their way into the bedrooms because of course, I am a toy magnet and toys follow me everywhere I go – I like to think of them as treasures, laid at the feet of the goddess in recognition of her divine beauty and power…

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyways.

Once the laundry is actually put away, and the toys shoved back towards the toy room, then the relocation of clothes happens, as the 3 year old had to help put the clothes away. Once I find them in the vacuum closet (that would be my nice black skirt), things are righted and all is good.

In the end the laundry did get finished, I’m sure I’ll find that missing pair of underwear in a toy box one day, the boy is so pleased that he helped. But we are getting closer you know, we’ve graduated from extremely unhelpful to not totally in the way…

No comments:

Post a Comment