Monday, April 6, 2009

KETCHUP

Generally I’m not a “THAT’s not going to happen to MY kid” kind of person, I’m more a, “I wonder WHEN that will happen with us???”

Except for ketchup. Sorry, but personally I’m not that big a fan of ketchup, it has sugar in it and vinegar. I use vinegar to clean my floors, not much for eating it.

When my firstborn was just learning to eat, I was chatting with a co-worker and she was telling me a story of her nephew who only eats if it’s dipped in ketchup. For the one and only time, I thought, I would rather that not happen to my son. And I actually was doing a good job at it. Our treat at our weekly visit to the zoo was always French fries, and since I don’t eat ketchup with mine, neither of us did. We were on our way to at least a little healthy living, or so I thought.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m not a complete anti-sugar fanatic or health freak, but I just didn’t want THAT kid, you know the one that asks Grandma for ketchup on the Christmas Turkey dinner (yuck).

Anyways – I forgot about him. You know, the father. He is a ketchup eater and one day, daddy made grilled cheese dipped in ketchup, and the story completely changed. The red stuff is our staple, or maybe it’s just the act of dipping, that seems to be pretty popular too. Anyways, I did have to draw the line the other day, when somehow, between eating off his dad’s plate and the breakfast I’d given him, the second born dipped his waffles in ketchup, now that’s just not quite right…

1 comment:

  1. um . . . .
    I was the kid asking for ketchup on Grandma's turkey dinner!!!
    :)
    Though, I have outgrown it now, I eat it with gravy!
    Seriously though, I'm not sure what happened here - most of us cousins are avid lovers of ketchup! (Just ask Kevin, he'll back me up!)

    ReplyDelete